Monday, June 16, 2008

Nate Longshore: Johnny Unitas Award Candidate

The quarterback controversy at Cal just got a little bit more interesting. And by a little bit, I mean, none at all. Why? Nate Longshore (aka. Nate the Great, aka. Nasty Nate) was just named a preseason candidate for the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award. I’m serious. It even says so on the official website. At least I’m pretty sure it’s the official site: http://www.goldenarmfoundation.com/.

So just for you all not in the know, Johnny Unitas, is like…possibly the greatest quarterback who ever lived. So winning the award is like…a really big deal. In fact, if Longshore were to win the award, he would join the presence of past great college quarterbacks like Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer, and another former Tedford protégé, David Carr. Oh and Gino Torretta. How could I have forgotten Gino Torretta?


Longshore is listed as one of 26 candidates. Why 26, and not 25? To be honest with you, I have no freakin’ clue. My only guess is that there are only 26 “deserving” senior quarterbacks available since the award can only be given to a quarterback completing their last year of eligibility.


Hmmm…actually, yeah…the more I look at the list, the less I’m impressed. It’s hard to take any list seriously when it includes Drew Willy from Buffalo (who?) and Dwight Schrutte (87 year old Ben Olsen).


So I guess Nate makes the list almost by default. But hey, at least he’s got the nods. First, being named the starter by EA in NCAA ’09, and now, preseason award mentions. He’s that much closer to being named the starter. Go Nate. I’m pulling for you. Seriously. And I’m also pulling for Riley. But I’m still pulling for you.

0 comments: