Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Quotes and Thoughts [Week 3]

More quotes in regards to thoughts wrapping up Cal's performance against WSU and Saturday's contest against Maryland.

On preparing for the time difference:
“I don’t think it will be too much of a challenge. I think we will rise to the occasion.” – Sean Young

Get it? RISE to the occasion!? GET IT? Haha!

["Not funny."]

Coach Tedford has reportedly decided not to fly the team out a day earlier as some had anticipated. Instead, the team will travel on Friday morning as they would for any other away game. Tedford believes that a day isn’t going help the team acclimate to the time difference any more so than simply adjusting their own internal clocks during the course of this week by waking up earlier than usual to prepare for the 9 AM start time.

Here’s hoping the Jahvid Best is a morning person.

"We are a way better team than what we looked like. I don't know what it was. That was not the Cougar team that we are."
- WSU Offensive Tackle Vaughn Lesuma.


Funny enough, that quote was taken BEFORE their game against Cal in reference to their 39-13 loss to Oklahoma State. A 26 point loss on the road doesn’t look so bad now does it?

Okay okay. That was the last shot I’ll take at WSU. Enough is enough. Way to kick a team when they’re down. What a punkass I am.


"We have to do a lot better than that if we want to be a contender."
– Coach Jeff Tedford


To clarify, Tedford was referring to the passing game specifically. While Coach Tedford has maintained that the entire team as a whole needs to continue to improve, Tedford recognizes our passing and receiving game as a current weakness in Cal’s offense. While it’s not yet a major area of concern, when your starting quarterback only passes for 51 yards in the first half, both the QB and receivers will certainly need to improve if the team plans on contending for a conference title as they hope to do.

"He does special things. You see him break some run and say, ‘I just wish I could do that.’ "
–Kevin Riley

Don’t we all? I also wish I had 10.3 100-meter dash speed, but hey, it just ain’t happening. It didn’t stop Riley for trying on Saturday though, as Riley rushed twice for 45 yards including a 27 yard score. His other carry led to a fumble however. Hmmm…maybe we leave it more to Best…

“It didn’t register right away until I ran back to the sideline and thought this is what I’ve always been waiting for. I told my dad and myself that it was going to happen. I was expecting it and I was dreaming it. It was a signature moment to have come this far and to have been through so much, and I always wanted to say before I ended my career that I got to score at least once. Just to have that happen, it was all worth it to come back and really give everything I had to make it happen. I called my dad after the game and told him that [touchdown] was for you.”
– Sean Young


Really good to see and hear for Sean Young. For those of you who don’t know the full dealio, Sean Young is a SIXTH year senior who was granted an extra year of eligibility because he’s been injured every season he’s been here. Every freaking season. To give you some context, Young played with former Cal receivers Geoff MacArthur, Burl Toler, and Jonathan Makonnen. Yeah. That was a long freaking time ago.

So for Young to come in and have a great season thus far, and live his collegiate dream, truly is a great story.

0 comments: