Saturday, September 20, 2008

Bye Week Blues

It's a bye week, and for most Cal fans, this means more opportunities to enjoy other college football games. For me, no Cal football for the weekend means more opportunities to attend to the other important areas of my life. So this weekend, I hopped on a plane to head out to New Haven, Connecticut to visit my girlfriend who's currently attending Grad School at Yale. Bulldogs, blech.

Speaking of the Bulldogs (Yale not Georgia), did you know they have a football team? Seriously, and they play in this conference, called the Ivy League. Cute. Yale apparently is played Georgetown today. And they kicked some major Hoyas ass 44-7. My girlfriend asked me, "Man, is Georgetown THAT bad?" I replied, "No, I think Yale is THAT good." Switch 'em out with Syracuse and throw 'em into the Big East. Booyakasha.

Anyway, here's how the weekend started off:

Girlfriend: So why'd you pick this weekend to come and visit me?
Me: Because it's a bye week.
Girlfriend: ...
Me: ..And because I wanted to see you of course.
Girlfriend: *Bruce Lee shot to the collarbone.*


Ultimately, I found out it didn't matter much which weekend I decided to visit, because it turns out that my girlfriend has a midterm nearly each week, beginning with this one. And since she decided not to get a t.v. for her place, I find myself I'm sitting in Public Cup Cafe, trying to connect to ESPN360 while my girlfriend studies fluid and electrolyte balance. I think she has it better off. Trying to connect to ESPN360 in a public cafe is like trying to get a Muslim to eat bacon. For the most part, it just ain't happening.

So, checking box scores and forums it is. Let's take a quick look at some box scores:

Penn State just crushed Temple, 45-3. Penn State is looking pretty good so far. I know they haven't really played anyone yet (including Oregon State, who year after year doesn't really develop a pulse until late September), but with Ohio State looking as vulnerable as it does right now, the Nittany Lions could make a real strong bid for a Big 10 title this year.

What the heck? East Carolina just lost to N.C. State? Man, there goes that Cinderella story.


Clemson is rolling over lowly South Carolina State. After getting embarrassed by Alabama to start the season, the Tigers have rebounded well, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them roll through most ACC competition before sputtering again late in the season.

Missouri only up by 6 at the half against Buffalo? C'mon Mizzou, don't do this to me. I got on the Missouri bandwagon last year, before you guys were rolling 50+ on teams this year. I've got you guys pegged as my sexy pick to make the National Championship game. You guys can't falter now. Don't you dare Chase Daniels.

The Terrapin Train is picking up speed, as Maryland is on top of Eastern Michigan 43-24. I'm sure the Fridge would like to not see Maryland give up 24 points, but has to be happy with an offense that is putting points after squeaking by teams in their first two.

Colorado State is up 7-0 on Houston. Keep an eye out on what the Rams do, as we don't want another team to sneak up on us this year.

Arizona is up by 10 over UCLA in a real important game for the Wildcats and the Bruins. While neither are in contention for the conference title this year, both are going to be battling it out to above the middle of the pecking order in the conference. The losing team today could find themselves joining the bottom feeders of the conference.

Who else is going to be cheering on Kyle Reed and his San Jose Spartans as they took the Sputtering 'Furd tonight? Seriously, I'm really glad Reed is getting his chance to show off what he can do. And a chance to beat Stanford in the South Bay Bowl? Let's just say there will be a little bit of Spartan in me tonight as I check the box scores.

Anyway, I should get going. I'm getting more evil eyes from my girlfriend, and she's beginning to flick her nose Bruce Lee style, which means it's time to be boyfriend.

Before I leave, I'll end with this thought: I hope Arizona State wins today. I know, I never really want to cheer for the Sun Devils, but anything that will make our game with them all the more important in two weeks, the better. Should the Sun Devils lose today however, a loss to Cal the following week might trigger a 5 game losing streak for Erickson's squad, with Oregon and and USC following right after. Eesh.

If I'm good, I'll be allowed to enjoy the game at a local bar with buffalo wings, a cold pint of Guiness, and my lovely girl at my side. If I don't get off this laptop soon though, I'll be spending my evening helping her frame pictures in her apartment. Fun.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

muslim to eat bacon... classic phil. it's right up there with "knocked the f out juice"

Bear with Fangs said...

I try. I try.