Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Other Pac-10 QB Battles Decided…Or Are They?

A few weeks ago, I had given a Pac-10 QB Battle Update, highlighting that Patrick Cowan had won the long-stranding QB Battle over Ben Olsen for the starting position.

Well it appears the Patrick Cowan can’t catch a break.

Cowan will miss the entire season after injuring his left knee while scrambling in practice today. It was a complete freak accident as it was during a non-contact play. The Redshirt Senior has already used his redshirt, and will have to be granted an unlikely sixth year of eligibility to give it a go in 2009. But in all likelihood, I think we may have seen the last of Cowan. Even if he were to be granted a sixth year, could he come back? The kid has messed up his knees so badly at this point, I’ll be surprised if he’ll be able to run normally, let alone stand the rigors of collegiate ball.

You have to feel for Cowan. Despite my disdain for UCLA, I’ve had some strange inkling of respect for Cowan, and hate to see a player’s career so hampered, and ultimately ended by injury, especially after he’s gotten so close on so many occasions of being “the man” and truly leading his team. I hope he’s given another chance, but I don’t know, it’s not looking too good.

And if that weren’t bad enough, Dwight Schrute, I mean, Ben Olsen, ended up going down the same day, again in another non-contact play. Olsen broke a bone in his right foot and will miss the next few months. The 25-year old will now be competing with JUCO transfer Kevin Craft for the starting job. What no McLeod-Thompson?

Man, not to get too “Thank God that ain’t us!” but…Thank God that ain’t us. I know Nate is down, but he’ll be back and hopefully we’ll have a healthy QB battle this fall. Either way, I feel pretty good about our QB position for the upcoming year. I don’t think Bruins fans can say the same right now. Who knows, maybe Craft will be the next great UCLA quarterback…or maybe he’ll be the next Bethel McLeod-Thompson.

0 comments: