Friday, August 17, 2012

Back In Berkeley: Cal Training Camp Documentary Episode 2

I have genuinely been eagerly anticipating Episode 2 of the new Cal Fall Camp web series. Again, there was nothing revelatory in terms of information, but the inside look at the team in preparation for the season is revelation in itself.



A few thoughts on this week's episode after the jump.

- I can't tell who the player featured in the opening moments of the video is, but I have the same exact ringtone. Imagine that shiet getting you up in the morning. I share your pain brother, except mine had me up at 6 AM this morning, so I win. Or lose?

- It's always impressive to hear from Mike Blasquez and watch him in action as he works with this team. The guy is just so freaking knowledgeable about nutrition, fitness, and physiology which doesn't come close to coming through in this video, but the guy knows what he's talking about. His work with our players has been evident since last year, and you can noticeably see a lot of players bigger (Austin Hinder) and leaner (CJ Anderson).

- QB Marcus Arroyo is another good position coach to have mic'd up, as he's constantly barking. He's got all of his QBs playing with focus and urgency in every practice video I've seen him in. But Coach Michalczik may have had the best line ever in explaining the benefits of learning a particular technique. "Subconsciously devastating." Haha, I like that.

- I'm glad that Eric Stevens knows that 0.15 to the zero power is 1. I'd be scarred otherwise.

- While I don't enjoy watching 18 football players pile into ice baths, the ones featured in the new SAHPC are infinitely better than the troughs the team was using before. Seriously, we're talking about literal tin buckets not much bigger than your home bath tub that 6 or 7 olinemen had to cram into. I much prefer the space and sight, thank you.

- The hit that safety Alex Logan lays on RB Isi Sofele at the 10:52 is an breathtaker. Knocks his helmet clean off. Good to see Sofele pop right back up though. Guy's a tough dude. And it is worth noting, in all the practice videos I've seen, the guy might have the quickest feet of any back on the team. Guy blazes in every drill.

- CJ Anderson does such a great job of not going down on first contact. Last year it was sheer power, but you're seeing a lot better decisiveness with his cuts, and it's the little things he's doing now in his runs from slightly turning and shifting his body to help him gain those extra yards. Really impressive to watch.

- Finally, that last shot of Memorial Stadium. I don't know if it's CGI or if that's really how the stadium looks at night with the lights of the interior of Memorial lit up like that, but that's just flat out gorgeous.



0 comments: