Friday, January 7, 2011

Harbaugh Nonsense Needs to Stop...Like Now

Adam Shefter of ESPN is reporting via Twitter that Jim Harbaugh has agreed to a five year contract with the 49ers.

Thank God.

And I say this not because I wanted Harbaugh to leave. Quite frankly, I could give a flip about where he ends up.

I thank the good man upstairs, because this current obsession with trying to know where exactly Harbaugh will be coaching next season has become flat out ridiculous. Like Bieber fever ridiculous.


Distressing is how much some of the Cal fan contingent has apparently been taken up by Harbaugh fever. Will he stay or will he go? How will Luck's staying in school affect his decision? Why wasn't Tedford as heavily pursued by the NFL? How was his steak cooked last night? What consistency was his crap in his golden toilet seat this morning?

On the BearInsider boards, right now 17 of the 40 threads on the front page concern Harbaugh in some capacity. That's nearly half of all the front page threads.

People, get a hold of yourselves.

Look, I get some of it. Sorta. As the head coach of our rival school, and fresh off one of the best seasons in school history, it’s easy to get sucked up in a little envy of Harbaugh. And the prospect of Harbaugh leaving probably does invoke some level of emotion. It’s of some relevance.

And before I proceed any further, I recognize that Harbaugh is a good coach. Probably a great coach, though we don’t know that yet. I say that because I think it’s one thing to turn a program around, it’s another to sustain that level of success on a consistent basis. Urban Meyer, Pete Carroll, Bobby Bowden, regardless of your opinions of them, they knew how to win.

So I get that some might be a bit interested in the topic of Harbaugh’s future.

But when I start to see inane levels of discussion on the topic, and begin reading how posters and bloggers begin hoping that Harbaugh leaves because it’s better for Cal, I begin to throw up a little.


When did some fans get to such levels of desperation that they begin following our rivals’ coaching career to obsession levels and begin wishing for his departure?

I could care less where Harbaugh ends up. If he jumps ship, I’ll look forward to the prospect of our team whupping the next coach. If Harbaugh stays, bring it on, I say. Yeah, we might get throttled again, but it’ll feel that much better when we do take them down.

And believe you me, as amazing of a team that Stanford was this past season (and they were very good), Harbaugh and the Furd can be beaten. And I still have strong doubts that Harbaugh would be able to sustain the current level of success.

Do I hate losing to Stanford? Probably more than anything. But I enjoy the competition. And I know our team does as well.

To put it succinctly, Harbaugh leaving will do nothing to help the Bears become a better teams. Coach Tedford, the coaches, and the players will help the Bears be a better team. Let’s spend more time following and supporting that notion.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen brother!