Monday, January 19, 2009

Bears' Morrah going pro; Tedford not happy

California’s Cameron Morrah did not make news Monday when the NFL official site announced he would forego his senior year and make himself available for the NFL draft. But Cal Bears coach Jeff Tedford’s reaction surprised many with his strong disapproval about the decision.

Tedford said he vehemently disagreed with Morrah’s decision to skip his senior season.

"He just wants to. He just wants to go do it," Tedford said. "It didn't matter what the facts were, it didn’t matter that my only other tight ends were a converted defensive end, or Anthony freaking Miller who has one career catch, he just wanted to go do it.

"The facts are so strong against this decision. After analyzing all the information with my abacus, the truth is there, he should have stayed for another year. He lost out on a chance to fully prepare himself. The facts are there's a 62.8742436745 percent failure rate for underclassmen tight ends."

Morrah expected Tedford to publicly disagree with his decision. But sources said he was shocked that Tedford walked out of the Hall of Fame Room while flipping him the bird before Morrah took questions from the media.

Instead, Tedford went upstairs to his office and played “Ninjabread Men” on his Nintendo Wii. Tedford also appeared agitated when the media asked him questions, as he stood with his palms down on a table.

"I was agitated because we didn't have a freakin' podium," Tedford said. "They were supposed to have a freakin' podium. I wasn't mad at Cameron. I was mad that the podium said he would come back for his senior season, and instead left me looking like an assmunch in front of Jonathan Okanes and the rest of the media."

Sources said Morrah was surprised that Tedford left early because he insisted the news conference be held jointly.


That stormy scene was a follow-up to an animated meeting at Morrah's apartment that started Wednesday afternoon over a Costco-sized box of Gogurts and ended around 1 a.m. Thursday morning. Tedford told Morrah he was foolish and copping out for going pro.

"I can't promise I'm going in any round or any pick or to a certain team," Morrah said. "I can’t promise that I’ll even get drafted. I can’t even promise that I know how to play football. All I can promise is that I will try my best. I'll set myself up just fine."

FYI: Cameron Morrah is indeed reportedly going pro.

Oh and I hope you guys all got the entire play on the Pete Carroll conference...

Good Luck Cameron!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yea, there's no way Tedford said any of that

Anonymous said...

LOL, funny stuff! Even funnier is the fact that Tedford did say he didn't agree with the decision - here.

In any case, it is a bit disappointing to see Morrah bolting. Most draft sites have him as the 11th to 14th best tight end in this year's draft. I seriously believe if he stayed one more year he might of become one of the top tight ends in next year's draft, but oh well. Maybe he needed the money, who knows.

So this leaves a gaping hole... I'll be optimistic but I don't think Tad Smith can be an above average tight end. Of the others, it's unknown. I know Anthony Miller got some early playing time so I hope he can step up next year. Of all the tight ends on our roster, I've got to believe Spencer Ladner is the most talented so I'm pulling for him to step up in spring ball.

So we'll wait to see what happens, but at first glance it appears a strength that we had has now become a weakness.

Bear with Fangs said...

I also don't necessarily agree with Morrah's decision. I thought his blocking improved greatly over the backend of the season, but I still don't think he's quite NFL ready.

I do think though that his draft position coming out early is a bit offset by the fact that next year's NFL class would have been even deeper.

Our TE position now should be a talented but unknown group, much like our receivers last year. At least Smith has some experience, and has great hands despite not getting the ball very often.

It should be very interesting to watch the battle between Miller and Ladner for the other spot. Heck, even Smith could find himself the odd man out if what they say about Ladner is true.