Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Chris Martin to Transfer

My reaction to Chris Martin's transfer.

In a stunning turn of events, incoming OLB/DE freshman Chris Martin has announced that he plans on transferring from Cal. Martin was one of the top rated defensive end prospects in the country, and was Cal's biggest defensive recruit during in the Tedford era next to ATH Keenan Martin.

Both Martin and Tedford released the following statements:

Martin:
“My decision to transfer definitely does not reflect on the football program or the academics at Cal,” said Martin, a native of Oakland. “Rather, I feel like for me to focus and truly reach my potential I need to leave many of the distractions I have here at home in the Bay Area. I need to venture away from home and start my college career somewhere else where I don’t have those distractions.”

Tedford:
“This is a decision that Chris and his family have made to do what they feel is in the best interest of Chris,” said Tedford. “We wish Chris the best as he pursues his college football career. It is always important for young men to make the correct decisions to be able to reach their full potential. I understand his concern with the continued outside distractions he’s facing, and I support Chris and his decision to transfer. I wish him and his family all the best.”

More after the jump.



In addition to being a prized recruit, Martin was instrumental in helping to assemble the current recruiting class, one of the Bears' best ever, acting as a bit of an ambassador for Cal in urging other recruits to join the Bears.

The news is surprising and fairly devastating as Martin was one of the few freshman expected to come in an play right away. He had the skills and size to possibly compete for a starting spot at the outside linebacker position.

As it stands, with the Bears having dismissed OLB Chris Little, and with another incoming recruit, OLB Cecil Whiteside's eligibility uncertain due to academic reasons, the Bears suddenly find themselves with strong concerns about their defensive depth for the upcoming season. Specific concerns arise as to what who will step up as the Bears' premier pass rusher.

What reasons Martin has for transferring, I can't say for certain, but let's hope it really is for his best long term. It certainly seems like it will hurt the Bears for the time being.

0 comments: