Thursday, March 5, 2009

Marshawn Lynch Pleads Guilty to Misdemeanor Gun Charges

For the record, I did not think I would be typing a post about Lynch pleading guilty to a charge twice in a year.

“Mama’s Boy” Marshawn pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor gun charge today and was sentenced to 80 hours of community service and will serve a 3-year probation.

Lynch said in a statement, “I am embarrassed by my recent arrest and conviction. I deeply regret that I placed myself in this situation. I have made mistakes in the past. Although I have learned many lessons over recent years, I obviously had not learned enough.”

Lynch was arrested earlier in the month after a police search revealed a 9 mm semiautomatic handgun inside a backpack in the trunk that was later identified as Lynch’s.

No charges were filed after police found four marijuana cigarettes (blunts).


Again, Lynch has dodged a bit of a bullet, at least legally, as he could have faced up to a year in jail. However, the verdict is still out as to how NFL Commissioner and the Buffalo Bills will handle Lynch’s second run-in with the law in less than a year. A suspension could cost Lynch pretty significantly financially.

We’ll see how things shake out. Long story short, Marshawn ain’t going to jail, but he’s hardly clear out of the water.

For the record, a couple of people have asked what I think about the whole ordeal, given that I’ve been a big Lynch fan over the years. Did he mess up? Absolutely. Was it a ridiculously foolish situation to be in, given both his history with the law and the NFL’s heightened paranoia about their athletes and guns after Plaxico Burress decided to bust a cap in his own leg? Most def. Do I think Marshawn is a thug or a bad person? Hell naw.

Look, Lynch messed up. As in a head-shaking, groan-inducing messup. But it is what it is. A messup. He’s pretty much exhausted most of his messup meter for athletes at a frighteningly quick pace (although not quite Pacman Jones level), but if Lynch can learn from his gaffe and keep it clean from here on out, then he’ll be remembered as a terrific player and good person who made some bad choices early on in his career.

0 comments: