Thursday, March 28, 2013

New Cal Uniforms Unveiled on April 10, 2013

Cal's planning on unveiling the football team's new uniforms on April 10th, 2013. I know most of us should probably sit and patiently wait for the actual uniforms to be shown before making any hoopla over them, but you're talking to a blogger who blogged about the last set of uniforms being leaked through EA's NCAA Football.

On top of that the Cal Athletics Department unveiled this nifty little sneak peak at the uniforms featuring none other than Jason Kidd, former Cal point guard.

You can watch the video below:


Full thoughts after the jump.

Now no one is ever going to ever completely agree about a uniform. That we know. Actually, scratch that. These are universally...awesome.



With that said, here are some extremely premature thoughts.

1) It looks like a simpler look.
Sonny Dykes has said that he's a big fan of tradition when it comes to uniforms in an interview with the BearInsider:

"I'm a big believer in tradition," he said, "and we'll make the uniforms as traditional as possible. I want one consistent home uniform -- blue helmets, blue jerseys, gold pants. On the road, we'll change up a little bit -- white on white, white with blue pants, but always with blue helmets. I don't think we should be what we're not. We're not Oregon; we don't want to try and be like Oregon."

This was a sigh of relief for yours truly as I was never a fan of the most recent iteration of uniforms. I thought I'd get used to the stripes, but they always reminded me too much of the Chargers uniforms and quite frankly, a bit tacky and out of place.

These look to be a bit more solid design, and without the stripes, thank goodness. The only stripe I seem to see is the solid stripe on the side of the pants, which is fine by me. It reminds me a bit of the pre-2008 Tedford uniforms.



2) The only area I'm not completely sold on is the golden collar area on the uniform.
It looks far too prominent on the uniform. In fact, when I first saw the shot, I thought they were making the entire shoulder to chest area golden, right around where the pads would be. Then it occurred to me that the gold in the chest area was the number, and the only golden part was the collar.



Jason Kidd said in the video that he liked the bear on the sleeve, so it is possible the golden area around the collar could be some type of Bear sigil.

It does make more sense though the aforementioned bear on the sleeve refers to a patch of Gold on the sleeve, that you can see in the video. There's a chance that could also be the uniform number but this seems far less likely given that a standard Bear would be far less work however for the equipment staff.

So yeah, still not sure what the golden collar/shoulder pad is all about, but I'm willing to wait.

3) We seem to have seen the last of the yellow on yellow "banana" look.
It seems like there will be the above blue uniform for home games (maybe throwing in golden bottoms) with a tad more variation for away games. White on white, white on blue like Dykes said. And I actually like the white look, from what little I've seen of it. Clean and simple.



But we have yet to see a yellow on yellow mockup.



Keeping fingers crossed. Me no likey.

4) Cal picked the wrong alum to feature

Don't get me wrong. I like Jason Kidd. But he plays basketball. I don't think it would have been ridiculously difficult to get a few former Cal players back in to show the uniforms to. But if Kidd happened to be in the area, then I understand making the best of it. But then again, this was his reaction.


"That's awesome. That's strong. I like that."

Anyway, for now, it's much hoopla about nothing. Just gotta wait until April 10.

0 comments: