Saturday, January 2, 2010

Jahvid Best to enter the NFL Draft


Jahvid Best announced on a conference call at 3 PM this afternoon that he will forego his senior year and declare for the NFL Draft.

You can read the AP report here.

"Best said he has heard projections that have him going as high as the first round and as low as the third round in April’s draft. But he said those are nothing more than guesses and didn’t play much of a role in his decision.

“It was just kind of a gut feeling,” he said. “I go with my feelings. That’s how I make decisions. I feel like I’m ready to play in the NFL and I think I’ll be successful.” "



Honestly, this should have surprised no one. I know many critical of Best's decision might argue the benefits of trying to stay for a injury free senior season. After all, Best hasn't played an entire season in his time at Cal.

But the opportunity to be a first round draft pick is too tempting to pass up at this point in his career. Even if he were to fall to the second or third round, his best bet is to cash given the gamut of frightening and near career-ending injuries the star-studded back has had at Cal.

I wasn't surprised when Rodgers, Lynch, and Jackson decided to go pro, and I'm not surprised now. Best has a chance to make an immediate impact as a rookie, while on special teams or in multiple ways on offense, whether as a change of pace back or as a slot receiver. The guy will have a few highlight plays early on. Mark my word.

For now, I wish Best nothing but the best of luck and speedy recovery while preparing for the combine, while also thanking him for his dedication and commitment to the Cal football team for the past several years.

Oh and thanks for all those highlight runs. Those were pretty neat.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wish him the best!

Anonymous said...

I know you post thing mostly about Cal, but I'm interested to hear your take on Lane Kiffin's move to USC. What do you think about it? Do you think him being there will change much for USC and the Pac-10 in general? Will USC continue to be the powerhouse it was under Pete Carroll?

Bear with Fangs said...

Anon, I'll be catching up with my blogging some time this week and will touch upon that soon.