Monday, August 3, 2009

Mailbag 8.03.09 - Worst case scenarios and special teams

Normally, I respond to more than a few questions at a time, but it’s been a quiet offseason, and Ryan from Texas has some pretty loaded questions, so I’ll address them in today’s mailbag.

"I just wanted to ask you two questions about this year's upcoming Cal team:

1) It seems everyone is pretty confident about the Bears' defense and offense, besides the position of quarterback. So the first question I have is basically, what do you think will happen if the quarterback situation plays out to the same effect as it did last year? I'm a pessimist, and since the quarterback situation is kinda iffy, I wonder what could be the "worst case scenario". I'd be surprised if we get less than a simple mediocre air attack, but would that spell disaster for the season overall? Yes, this year, there doesn't seem to be as much quarterback competition (maybe I'm wrong?), but still, what would happen if Cal ended up with low yards and TDs off passes?

2) Okay, now secondly, what about special teams? I haven't heard of anything regarding how good or bad Cal's special teams will be. Maybe that's because that's only determined during the season, but I'm curious to see if you know anything about it.

-Ryan, Texas"


Hey Ryan,

In response to your first question, if our aerial attack were to play out the same as last year, I think you could pretty much expect the same type of season as last year. While I think we’re stronger and deeper at certain units this year, it’s hard for me to imagine really challenging for a conference championship this year unless we pose any real passing threat. The Pac-10 will feature some highly improved run defenses this year, and without any offensive balance, I would expect another 8 or 9 win type of season. Of course, if you want to think about worst case scenarios, you could drop that number down to 5 or 6, but I highly doubt that would be the case with our defensive and strength in the trenches.

On to question number two…


…I anticipate that special teams will continue to be a mixed bag under Coach Alamar. Bryan Anger should really be in the mix for All-American honors, and our kickoffs should be slightly improved with Tavecchio showing a bit of a stronger leg during spring practices, and new recruit Vince D’Amato possibly challenging for field goal duties.

In our return game, Syd’Quan will continue to be one of the better punt returners in the conference, and Jahvid Best will continue to be a threat to take it the distance, depending on how many shots he’s given. Jeremy Ross showed a lot of improvement in this area towards the end of last season as well. Again, keep an eye out on Isi Sofele, if he proves to be ready to play as a true frosh in return duties.

On the flipside, I don’t see any immediate indications that our kickoff coverage will be drastically improved though. While we were solid for the most part last year, one could still expect the occasional big return. Who knows, perhaps that aspect of our special returns unit will be shored up, but I haven’t seen anything that would indicate otherwise.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I'm in the minority when I say this, but I really don't like Ross returning kicks. Despite having a couple pretty good returns, he returned 17 kickoffs for 337 yards (good for 19.8 yards/return). Best, on the other hand returned 16 kickoffs for 405 yards (25.3 yard/return). While I understand Best won't be able or allowed to return every kick, I still think someone else besides Ross should be looked at to share the load. Maybe Sofele, Vereen, or Marvin Jones (I think he fielded punts or kickoffs during spring) can help out.

Bear with Fangs said...

I agree that Ross hasn't been nearly as productive of a return man as Best, but he did show some improvement and brings some experience to the table.

I too would really like to see what Sofele, Vereen, and Jones can do. Sofele in particular could be potentially brilliant.

Kevin said...

Phil, where's Longshore at? You have any idea?

Caleb said...

A.J. Hawk, the Packers' first-round pick in 2006, is being outplayed at his linebacker spot by Desmond Bishop, who was the second of two sixth-round picks from Cal in the same draft. At the very least, Capers has another linebacker toy to play with in his 3-4 scheme.


woot

Bear with Fangs said...

Kevin, the last I checked, Longshore is still going to be competing for a practice squad QB spot with Miami, after failing to do so after summer camp. It isn't looking too good right now, but who knows? Here's hoping he gets a good shot.

Also, Caleb, don't be surprised to see Bishop get a lot more playing time this year. Surprised to hear about him outplaying AJ Hawk in all honesty though.